Thursday, May 2, 2013

Leaving Places


Leaving places sucks, especially when you think of all the exciting things that might have happened if you had stayed just a bit longer, or explored more places, or taken advantage of the  opportunities that came along or spent more time with that special someone. It’s like going through a long list of “what might have been” – and that doesn’t get you anywhere!

Realizing that the window is now - potentially permanently - closed on these opportunities is a disheartening thought. But then you hope for another door to open for a slew of more exciting ones until you have to pack up again, likely at the most inopportune time, and move to your next pit stop.

Not knowing for how long this new place will be your home, or where your impulse or fate will take you next is a fear most people given to a nomadic lifestyle may have overcome. But for the rest of us, who build meaningful relationships, and create memories, and try to put down roots, all to start from scratch somewhere else, leaving places is actually quite hard and scary!

I have left places quite a lot – and I am doing that right now in a few hours as I write this blog, and will be leaving a very special place that I have called home for three years now in the very near future, and in all honesty, I am terrified as hell!  But the one thing leaving places affords you, is the chance to start afresh and do it better and wiser. If you can do that, leaving places and moving on is worth it!   

6 comments:

  1. Hi I was just reading your blog and found it really interesting.

    I think once you decide on a place that you truly call home because you feel peace there, you can always discover the ends of the world because deep down you have someone/some place that will always love you unconditionally.

    Do not miss out on the world, just figure out where home is first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Traveler410,
    Thank you for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I have a question for you, do you travel a lot? Going by your name, I would assume so. And so if I am correct in assuming that you are a traveler, I hope you have travelled the world and have always found someone / some place that has loved you unconditionally wherever you were! Let's travel the world together - in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No actually, my name does not really describe my nature. Although I wish I can travel the world :( Have you been anywhere nice lately?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I did a bit of travelling around the Middle East with my closest friends. I went to a few places, and I have to say - Lebanon came out on top! I loved that country. We went to see the cedars, the vineyards, Beirut, BYBLOS (:) I left my heart in Jbeil)and the South. That country has a lot to offer! You must go if you can. We are planning on going again this August :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can take a piece of Lebanon with you wherever you go... Just befriend a Lebanese and you won't hear the end of it (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha Tarek, I know what you mean. I have several Lebanese friends who are very proud of their country.

    ReplyDelete